Saturday, November 23, 2013

Thankful For You - Thankful For Dudley & Sing-Sing - Happy Thanksgiving!

“What Are You Thankful For?  - Gratitude Is My Attitude Because of What I Learned From Dudley & Sing-Sing”

Hi Friends & Family!

This is the time of year that I usually like to speak to the virtues of gratitude and recognition of the things that mean most to us in life.  Some families have a Thanksgiving tradition of going around the table and each person sharing what they are thankful for.  I was wondering what would happen if the family pet was included in that

family custom; if for just a moment we could talk and listen to our animal family members.  What would they be thankful for?  Since my parrots Dudley and Sing-Sing do talk, they have shared with me laughter and uttered the word "fun" while playing with their many toys surrounding their cages and parrot play gyms.  But, I wonder what else?  I am curious about the areas the many animal friends I care for are thankful for -- your beloved animal companions.
People of course feel thankful for valuable life commodities like health, family, a home and successful careers.  But our pets I suspect have a different take on things.  Just the other day I saw Sing-Sing dancing on her manzanita perch stand and parrot play gym.  She was singing to her heart's content and I could virtually see her smiling.  I couldn’t resist the temptation to go over and pet Sing-Sing.  She was so full of joy and looked so satisfied.  For her, at that moment, everything was right in the world.  I thought how much I would like to have half as much joie de vivre as Sing-Sing in that moment of singing and dancing.  Why was I unable to share in such enthusiasm demonstrated by Sing-Sing as she acted upon the immortal words of Ray Charles "Shake Your Tail Feather?"  .

Later the same day I walked into the room and heard my 33 year-old Yellow-Nape Amazon parrot  “Dudley” whistling and expressing himself in the manner of a town crier so that the world could hear.  As I approached and opened his cage he happily climbed onto my finger and seemed ever so content with just being there.   Just having a few minutes of my undivided attention seemed to make Dudley's day.  Especially making Dudley's day was when I pulled out some of his favorite toys such as a rope toy, a sheet and Dudley began to laugh as he was swinging from these great sources of pleasure.

As I was caring for the many furry best friends of mine, we enjoyed God's amazing creation as we walked, jogged and ran throughout the colorful trees in beautiful parks in the area.  Being fortunate to observe dogs running around the many nature trails of Laumeier, Babler, Creve Coeur, and Tilles while frolicking in the leaves gives me so much joy.
There’s no doubt that if animals could weigh in on the question of “what are you thankful for?” I suspect they would stick to the simple things in life like the warmth of the sun or the satisfied feeling of a full stomach. They would likely go on and on about the how special it is to just “be” with someone who cares for you, and how the opportunity to be physically active is something you should never pass up.  I have told many people over the years that I truly believe that we can learn so much from animals.  Patience, respect, nonjudgmental and unconditional love and loyalty toward others are attributes any person would do well to acquire.   But thisThanksgiving season maybe we can learn one more lesson from our beloved pets. Maybe we can learn that no matter what hand we are dealt in life, no matter what trails and tribulations we face every day, no matter how many bad choices we’ve made, or how unlucky we’ve been in the past, we can always be thankful for those little things, that even if just for a
moment or two, seem to make the world right.  So the next time you see your pet taking utter joy in some simple, basic things in life, go over and join him.  It will do you both good.

This Thanksgiving, I thank God for You and I thank God for being surrounded by many loving animals.

A Very Happy Thanksgiving!

Warmly,

Paul

Paul F. Flotron
Creature Comforts Great & Small, LLC
"Giving your creatures the comfort they deserve"
www.CreatureComfortsGreatnSmall.com
314-200-8561
Cell:  314-775-7107

No comments:

Post a Comment